I adore pork chops – done right, that is. I love this Balsamic Skillet Chops recipe because they take about 20 minutes to make. (You don’t have to turn on the oven!) They are zesty and flavorful.
To get started you just heat olive oil in a large skillet and then season the chops with just a bit of salt and pepper or maybe some Penzey’s chop seasoning or do what I do and make your own seasoning. (Here’s the recipe for my Chophouse Seasoning.)
I add a bit of chopped garlic to the oil just before I add the chops to brown. It takes about 2-3 minutes a side to brown them. Remove them to a plate to rest.
Pour the balsamic vinegar mixture into the pan and reduce it slightly by bringing it to a boil and allowing to cook for 1 minute. Add the chops and any liquid back into the pan and de-glaze them in the reduced balsamic mixture by spooning the liquid over the the chops and turning them over in the liquid. Then just cover the skillet for about five minutes on medium – medium low heat or until the center of the chops are no longer pink. During this time I used my Veggetti to make zoodles and steamed them in the microwave for about 2 minutes. I especially love zucchini noodles!
I served the balsamic skillet chops over the lightly steamed zoodles and spooned a bit of the remaining au jus over the chops.
Did I mention that pan to table was under 20 minutes? The carbs are low, about 3 per serving and only if you use all the pan juices divided between the chops. (Zoodles are extra.) Happy low carbing! — Laura
Here’s the Balsamic Chops Recipe:
- 4 boneless pork chops (16 oz) about ¾" thick.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. pork chop seasoning (or salt and pepper to taste)
- ½ tsp. chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. splenda or other sweetener
- 6 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet and then stir in chopped garlic. Sprinkle the chops with seasoning and brown them in the garlic oil about 3 minutes a side.
- Remove from pan to a plate and set aside.
- Add balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp. sweetener to the warm skillet.
- Heat the balsamic mixture and bring to boil.
- Put the chops back into the pan and de-glaze them in the balsamic mixture.
- Allow to cook about 5 minutes more or until no longer pink at the center.