Low Carb Donuts?
Yes, low carb donuts are a real thing. And as you may know that while following a low carb W.O.E. it can be hard to find a great dessert that doesn’t involve cream cheese or other dairy products while being carb-thrifty.
These little gems are very thrifty at less than half a single net carb per mini donut. I used a Wilton’s non-stick mini donut pan. It worked beautifully. The recipe made 3 dozen mini donuts.
This Low Carb Donuts recipe can be made ala baked cake donut alone. ~OR~
They can be fry-finished in a small skillet.
I found recipe sources online as springboard inspirations (see below). As I experimented forged a recipe to my own tastes, I realized that I like both baked and fried donuts, but fried seemed not possible as the batter fell apart in the hot oil from lack of gluten, probably. :(.
How I finally succeeded:
I found a recipe at ‘All Day I Dream About Food’ for coconut donuts that suggested frying after baking. (Big, big thank you! It’s a great site!) You just allow the donuts to bake till set and then put them in hot oil for 30 seconds or so in a small skillet to bring them up to golden brown and give them a lovely fried finish. (See picture above.)
After cooking up the first batch, I remembered an old donut-making trick from eons ago: You place the warm donuts with 1-2 tablespoons of powdered sweetener (like Swerve) in a paper bag and closing it, gently tilt it back and forth to cover the donuts in sugar. Then scoop up coated donuts out of the bag onto a straw and deliver to the serving dish:
The smell was so good that once again, I singed my tongue on my first taste. It was heaven. – Enjoy! Laura
- ⅓ cup Coconut Flour
- 3 tbsp. Swerve swetener
- ½ tsp Nutmeg (optional)
- ⅛th (pinch) tsp. salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛th tsp (pinch) Glucomannan / Konjac Powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil, melted and cooled
- 4 large Egg, Whole
- ¼ cup Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Coconut oil for frying
- Powdered swerve for coating (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease mini donut pan.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together coconut flour,swerve sweetener, salt, baking soda, nutmeg (opt).
- In separate bowl stir together the eggs, almond milk, cocnut oil and vanilla.
- Sprinkle the konjac over the egg mixture and stir to dissolve.
- Add the Egg mixture to the coconut flour mixture and stir till batter is smooth and thick.
- Add 1½-2 tsps. batter to donut well.
- Bake for 8 minutes, if frying. Bake for 10-12 mins for cake donuts. Allow to cool slightly and dump out of pan. If not frying, donuts are ready for powdered sweetener.
- Frying instructions:
- In small skillet heat about ¼ inch, oil till hot, but not smoking. Carefully slide prepared donuts into hot oil and allow to cook just till underside is golden 10-30 seconds depending on oil temperature. Then carefully turn over each donut with a fork and repeat. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Coat with powdered sugar, if desired.
Oh! And if you are wondering why I chose ‘Donuts’ over ‘Doughnuts’ — Merriam Webster said I could!
Thanks to these inspirations:
Lowcarb-ology (induction friendly)