Pizza Crisps were born out of hunger for a long overdue lunch. I poked my nose in the fridge to see if there was anything super quick I could just grab.
Now I’m sure you know like I do that ‘super quick’ and ‘just grab’ aren’t usually used in the same breath as the phrase ‘low carb’.
In fact the usual phrase would be ‘planning and preparation’. But we both know that’s not always possible in the real world.
Lucky for me inspiration struck at the same time as hunger. I’ve made cheese crisps before, you may have seen my ‘Dorketos’ recipe on Baking Outside the Box. When I saw the little packets of Provolone rounds and pepperoni in the refrigerator, visions of pizza began to dance in my head.
It was just too easy. I snagged a piece of baking parchment and tossed the provolone rounds on it, followed promptly followed by a small handful of pepperoni pieces and zapped the whole thing until the cheese was crispy and the pepperonis were sizzling. Did I mention that sans the Marinara that these are ZERO carbs?
I tossed them on a plate and warmed up two Tablespoons of marinara sauce that I willing gave up 2 carbs for. Next time maybe I’ll be classy and not quite so starved and add some chopped basil leaves to the toppings. It took just two minutes to make lunch that day. Sigh-of-relief. – Enjoy! – Laura
- 2 Thin rounds of Provolone cheese
- 10 thins slices of pepperoni
- Place Provolone rounds on baking parchment.
- Top the cheese evenly with the slices of pepperoni.
- Place in microwave on high for 60 seconds.
- If Pizza Crisps aren't ready, continue microwaving in 20 second intervals till done.
- When cheese has become lacy and is browning at the edges it is finished.
- Allow Pizza crisps to cool on the parchment until they become firm.
- When removing them from parchment, you may wish to blot excess oil on a paper towel before placing them on a plate to serve.